7.10.08

This fortnight in awesome (end of september, Begining of Oct)

“I like when good things happen to me, but I wait two weeks to tell anyone because I like to use the word ‘fortnight.’” - Demitri Martin

Sorry for the gap in updates, I was off celebrating my birthday by getting drunk and looking at really lackluster art exhibits. Then seeing Religulous and eating myself into a near coma, again.
That and work. Lots of work.

Anyways, heres some awesome stuff...


Confessions of a Superhero
In a rare show of consumer confidence, I actually bought this DVD based on the cover and premise alone. It's also presented by Morgan Spurlock, who has never steered me wrong in the past (save for one or two bullshit episodes of the usually stellar "30 Days").
The film is a documentary following the lives of 4 street superheroes. For the unaware, along the sunset strip in Hollywood, especially during tourist season, there are people dressed in colorful costumes who take pictures with tourists and work on tips. Primarily these people take on superhero and cartoon identities, and this documentary in particular follows the ups and downs of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and The Hulk. Each very interesting personalities and each with a different level of intensity, drive and delusion. Very funny, captivating and at times even moving.
Check out the trailer here.


The Scotsman who can't watch a movie without shouting at the screen



Palin Being Moronic
Sarah Palin has only astounded me this past fortnight.
Whether it's advocating that woman should have the children that result from rape or incest, claiming homosexuality is a choice, flexing her journalism degree muscle with an inability to name a single paper she reads, or a single supreme court decision she disagrees with (save for roe v wade, which I'm sure you could teach a parrot to recite as a court case), she's really outdone herself. To say nothing of her showing at the VP Debate.
I was trying to explain to someone my disdain for her, and they asked me something that caught me off guard; "Worse than George W. Bush?"
I realized, Ol' Dubya is almost above disdain for me. Especially with only a scant few months remaining in his term, he's risen above contempt to an almost ignorable height of cartoon supervillainy. But the thing about Palin is, while Bush took stammering and struggling with English to near performance art levels (a spectacularly aggravating trait for a world leader), Palin seems so confident in her stupidity, which is outright Pyvesian on the aggravation scale.
Historically, it will be George W. Bush who fucked the world up more, but for here and now, it's Palin's time to shine, and I think that, perhaps more than anything else (even the backlash from Bush's term) is whats going to screw things up for the Republicans.
You Go Girl! Keep on Keepin'-On!


Epic Embaressment
I think these pictures speak for themselves. Pretty classic.
(Note: the two seperate notes on the box)


Rumors: Batman 3
Rumors continue to swirl around about the status (or merely the exsistence of) Christopher Nolan's 3rd Batman film. Here's a story claiming pre-production will begin Febuary 2009 in Chicago. Later, the colorful folks over at Ain't it Cool News posted a story from a "trusted source" that seemed to corroborate the first story.
Seems a little early to me, but then again, I've never had a dumptruck of money emptied at my house.
In other Bat-News, we have a terrible, terible idea. Turning superman into a whiney teenager was bad enough. Stay out of Gotham!!


Vinyl Collective Co-Op release # 1
Apologies in advance for the gratuitous plug, but I'm a member of a collectively run, vinyl-only record label.
Our first release goes on-sale tomorrow and is of the Chicago based Alkaline Trio/Lawrence Arms side project "The Falcon"'s 2004 EP "God Don't Make No Trash".
It's a 10" with a gate-fold sleeve, and is going to be limited to 1000 copies (333 transparent red vinyl, 667 royal blue vinyl). If you dig The Falcon, Alkaline Trio or Lawrence Arms (or even the blogging skills of Mr. Brenden Kelly, as linked to the right), it's worth checking out, even if you're just going to sell it on eBay later.
Plug!




Thanks dudes.
More Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment